Today marks the beginning of Gas Safety Week 2018, the eighth annual event that focuses on raising awareness across the UK about the importance of maintenance for gas appliances.
This week serves as an important reminder, to both landlords and tenants, to check any home appliances. The Gas Safety Register, organisers of Gas Safety Week, highlight that poorly maintained gas appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions and carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning.
All week we will be bringing you helpful information, provided by the Gas Safety Register, that should help you stay safe in the future.
Thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide poisoning each year, which is why in recent years there has been a rise in awareness campaigns, such as this one. You cannot see, taste or smell carbon monoxide, which makes this highly poisonous gas such a swift and silent killer.
The gas is produced when fuel burns incompletely, due to an inefficient supply of oxygen being present. This can occur when appliances aren’t installed properly or when they aren’t effectively maintained. This must be done by an appropriately qualified Gas Safe registered engineer.
Last year, it was reported by the Health and Safety Executive (HSE) that around 350 people had been killed or injured due to carbon monoxide poisoning.
Over the following days, we will be providing tips and advice on what you must do as a landlord to comply with gas related legal obligations. We will also be discussing the responsibilities that apply to tenants.
Over 7,000 supporters got involved with Gas Safety Week last year, including ourselves and our sister company Landlord News. Organisations across the industry get involved each year, as well as several MPs.
Landlord News has also commented on the events of this year’s awareness campaign, which is available to read here.