Second Home Insurance

Second Home Insurance

Insurance for second properties that aren’t your main residence

What is second home insurance?

A property that isn’t used as your main residence can be referred to as a second home when it comes to insurance. As you may not be able to keep an eye on your second home all the time, it can be vulnerable to risks that require suitable buildings insurance and contents insurance.

What cover does second home insurance provide?

Our comprehensive Second Home Insurance offers protection for a range of contents insurance and building insurance risks, including:

  • Theft and attempted theft cover
  • Malicious and accidental damage cover
  • Property owners’ liability cover
  • Fly tipping cover
  • Replacement locks cover

Policy limits and exclusions may apply. Please see our Second Home Insurance policy wording for a full list of covers.

Why take out Second Home Insurance with us?

Our cover for second homes is rated 5 Star by independent financial research company Defaqto. This is due to its comprehensive level of protection.

To help spread the cost of your insurance policy, we can also provide a Direct Debit payment option that is payable over 12 months.

What our customers say

We invite all customers to leave feedback on Trustpilot. Overall, we are rated ‘Excellent’. You can read our reviews on our Trustpilot page.

Our frequently asked questions

Please note that these frequently asked questions are not a substitute for the policy wording. For full terms and conditions please see the policy documentation.

What counts as a second home?

Any property you own that isn’t your main residence can count as a second home. You may live in the countryside and own a property in the city to save on commuting to work during the week.

Do I need second home insurance?

If you own a second home that isn’t your main residence, you may benefit from second home insurance. It can provide more suitable cover than a standard home insurance policy, as it takes into account that someone will not be living at the property all the time.

What if the rebuild cost of my second home increases?

With our Second Home Insurance, we help to mitigate the risk of increases to rebuild costs by providing index linking as standard. Index linking is the process of tracking changes to rebuild costs to ensure the buildings sum insured remains correct.

We provide a monthly check as part of our index linking cover. This won’t affect your premium during the term of your insurance if the rebuild cost goes up, but any changes will be reflected in the quote you receive at renewal.

How much does second home insurance cost?

The cost of insurance for a second property can vary depending on a number of property details. This can include:

  • Year of construction
  • Property type
  • Previous claims

To find out how much our insurance can cost for your second property, get an online quote.

What property types do you cover?

We can provide cover for a range of property types, including bungalows, flats, terraced, and detached houses. If you can’t see a suitable option when filling in our quote form, contact our team, and we will see if we can still offer you a quote.

Do you offer policies for portfolios?

Yes, we can provide insurance for multiple properties in one policy to protect a number of homes. You can get a quote for up to 100 properties on one policy using our online quote form. If you need a quote for a policy covering over 100 properties, get in touch with our team by emailing

How can I make a claim?

To make a claim on your Second Home Insurance, our claim form and more information about how to make a claim can be found on our claims page.

Looking for suitable property insurance?

We can provide cover for the following:

Resource centre

Other links

  • Gallagher – Just Landlords is a trading name of Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited. Part of the Arthur J. Gallagher & Co group of companies.