Landlord Building Insurance

Included as standard with our comprehensive Landlord Insurance

Suitable landlord building insurance can help to provide coverage for the cost of repairs or rebuilding a rental property if it is damaged by an insured event, such as fire, flood or theft.

If you’re a landlord and rent out a property, you may want to have landlord building insurance cover to help give peace of mind.

Landlord insurance isn’t legally required but it can be a wise investment to help protect your investment and minimise financial risks in case of damage to your buy to let property from unforeseen events.

Specialist buildings cover is included in many landlord insurance policies, including Just Landlords’ Landlord Insurance.

What is landlord building insurance?

Landlord building insurance, sometimes called landlord house insurance or landlord property insurance, is an insurance policy that can provide cover for physical loss or damage to a building and its permanent fixtures and fittings by fire, lightning, flood, theft, vandalism, and other covered events.

Landlord house insurance is different to standard residential home insurance, as it is tailored to meet the additional risks associated with letting out a property.

What does landlord building insurance cover?

Building insurance can provide cover for structural work in the event your property sustains extensive damage caused by insured events listed in your policy wording.

Landlord building insurance can help to cover the cost of repairing or rebuilding the structure, as well as damage to other structures on the property, such as garages, sheds, or fences.

Landlord building insurance may also include cover against damage to the structure of the building caused by:

  • Malicious damage by tenants: This can cover any intentional damage caused by tenants, such as vandalism.
  • Escape of water from a fixed appliance, pipe or tank
  • Falling trees or branches, lampposts or telegraph poles
  • Acts of terrorism
  • Subsidence, landslip or heave of the site on which the building stands
  • Unauthorised alterations, for example for use as a drug farm

Our Landlord Insurance can provide cover for these risks and more. See our policy wording for full information.

With our comprehensive cover, landlord buildings insurance can include the following covers as standard:

  • Accidental damage
  • Malicious damage by your tenants
  • Theft by your tenants
  • Unauthorised alterations, including when the premises have been or are being used

To help ensure you have suitable cover, read your current policy thoroughly and understand the terms of the policy as well as your obligations. Your policy may be invalid if you fail to carry out repairs or maintenance, for example on pipes, drains or guttering.

Why should I take out landlord building insurance?

A comprehensive buildings insurance policy can help to ensure you are suitably covered in the event of damage to your property where you might otherwise have to find the financial means to rebuild or repair your property.

Landlord buildings insurance may also be a condition of your mortgage. It is worth double-checking the conditions of your buy to let mortgage to ensure you are meeting them.

Does landlord insurance cover tenants’ belongings?

Landlord insurance does not typically cover the personal belongings of tenants. For this reason, tenants are encouraged to obtain their own contents insurance to help protect their personal property.

Landlord building and contents insurance from Just Landlords

We provide comprehensive cover for residential landlords. Read more about the 40 covers included with our policies as standard on our dedicated Landlord Insurance page.

Looking for suitable property insurance?

We can provide cover for the following:

Resource centre

Other links

  • Gallagher – Just Landlords is a trading name of Arthur J. Gallagher Insurance Brokers Limited. Part of the Arthur J. Gallagher & Co group of companies.