The results of a recent gas safety survey have been branded as, ‘shocking’ by the director of a leading charity organisation.
1, 387 tenants in the private renting sector were questioned for the investigation, which was carried out by YouGov.
The survey was conducted on behalf of housing charity Shelter Scotland and Scottish Gas revealed an alarmingly high 43% of renters said that their landlord or agent had failed to carry out a gas safety check in the last five years. 7% of tenants said they had experienced a gas leak within in their property during this timeframe.
Shelter Scotland director Graeme Brown was disgusted with the results of the survey. Brown said that it was, ‘shocking to think that in thousands of households across Scotland, there are disasters waiting to happen because a simple safety check has not taken place.’ He added that this, ‘is an even bigger concern,’ for households with children and that, ‘renters have a right to know that the property they are living in is safe.’
Mr Brown also said that it is, ‘absolutely vital’ that tenants know they should get a proper gas safety check annually. Just as importantly, Brown said, is that, ‘landlords need to know that gas safety is not optional,’ and that, ‘failing to get a gas safety check can and does put lives at risk.’
Shelter Scotland and Scottish Gas have joined together to try and improve efficiency in housing within the rented sector. Paul Dailly, a Scottish Gas engineer, said that there are measures that tenants can undertake to improve their safety. Dailly said, ‘There are vital checks people can do to keep themselves and their families safe.
“Looking for signs of staining, sooting or discolouration on, or around, your gas boiler, fire or water heater; keeping vents in doors, walls or windows clear; making sure your chimney isn’t blocked and checking pilot lights and other gas flames to ensure they burn blue are all simple tests that can be done to help protect your home and everyone in it.’