Weather damage to rented property warning
By |Published On: 23rd January 2014|

Home » Uncategorised » Weather damage to rented property warning

Weather damage to rented property warning

By |Published On: 23rd January 2014|

This article is an external press release originally published on the Landlord News website, which has now been migrated to the Just Landlords blog.

With the depth of winter upon us, cold morning and dark evenings could feel insignificant if damage occurs to your rented property. The wet and windy weather could be particularly damaging if it also causes frosty relations between you and your tenant or landlord.

Weather damage can occur in a range of ways. Storms, flooding and freezing conditions can all amount to problems with your property. Damage occurring to your home can be a stressful experience for all involved. The turn of the year has brought a fresh reminder from The Association of Residential Letting Agents to ensure that both parties are aware of their responsibilities in the case of weather damage.

Weather damage to rented property warning

Weather damage to rented property warning 

The need for clarity

It is vitally important that landlords and tenants are confident with their tenancy agreement to ensure that all weather-related problems can be solved as soon as possible. In her reminder, president of the ARLA, Susan Fitz-Gibbon, said it was absolutely, ‘essential’ that both parties, ‘know where their responsibilities lie.’

She added that, asking the right questions’ before entering any contract was extremely important. Fitz-Gibbon also said that it was essential that tenants, ‘fully understand the terms of the tenancy agreement’ to negate the risk of any future issues.

Things to remember

It is important to remember that regardless if you are a landlord or tenant, you will want any damage repairing quickly. Tenants should keep landlords contact details safe, record all damages to the property and inform landlords of any persisting problems.

Landlords should ensure that they take on all tasks outlined in the tenancy agreement in regards to weather damage. They should also advise the tenant who is responsible for features such as contents insurance in case of damage such as flooding to the property.


About the Author: Em Morley (she/they)

Em is the Content Marketing Manager for Just Landlords, with over five years of experience writing for insurance and property websites. Together with the knowledge and expertise of the Just Landlords underwriting team, Em aims to provide those in the property industry with helpful resources. When she’s not at her computer researching and writing property and insurance guides, you’ll find her exploring the British countryside, searching for geocaches.

Share this article:

Related Posts


Looking for suitable
insurance for your
Check out our four
covers for landlords