Rental income risks
By |Published On: 18th December 2013|

Home » Uncategorised » Rental income risks

Rental income risks

By |Published On: 18th December 2013|

This article is an external press release originally published on the Landlord News website, which has now been migrated to the Just Landlords blog.

Landlords are being urged to ensure they have appropriate cover to protect themselves in the event of tenants not paying their rent.

Insufficient cover

The National Landlords Association (NLA) has issued the call following their survey of 1,019 landlords. Results of the survey show that 38% of landlords have experienced rent arrears during the past 12 months. On average, non-paying tenants owed landlords £1,943.[1]

Surprisingly, the findings show that a huge 89% of landlords had no insurance policy that would cover them in the event of rent arrears. Only 23% of landlords questioned said that they take out loss of rent cover.[1]

Rental income risks

Rental income risks


These statistics have led for the NLA to encourage landlords to take out a rent arrears insurance policy. Many of these policies cover landlords not only against the non-payment of rent but also any legal fees necessary to recover monies.

Be Prepared

Chairman of the NLA, Carolyn Uphill urged landlords to take out sufficient cover to help themselves in the future. Uphill remarked that “most landlords will be affected by rent arrears at some point” due to “many different reasons why tenants could find themselves with difficulties over meeting their rental obligations.”[1]

She went on to say: “It’s important to be prepared as the amount of money lost through arrears can roll into tens of thousands of pounds.”[1] Uphill then pointed out that the act of recovering unpaid monies as “a very stressful and costly process.”[1]

As a final comment, Uphill said that she would “advise all landlords to take out specialist rental arrears cover” to give “peace of mind.” She says that taking out this type of cover can also guarantee “legal advice and specialist lawyers to assist in the recovery of any lost monies.”[1]


About the Author: Em Morley (she/they)

Em is the Content Marketing Manager for Just Landlords, with over five years of experience writing for insurance and property websites. Together with the knowledge and expertise of the Just Landlords underwriting team, Em aims to provide those in the property industry with helpful resources. When she’s not at her computer researching and writing property and insurance guides, you’ll find her exploring the British countryside, searching for geocaches.

Share this article:

Related Posts


Looking for suitable
insurance for your
Check out our four
covers for landlords